Thursday 11 October 2012

The Raven, as interpreted by Gahan Wilson

Since 1992, around the time I first saw The Simpsons' version of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven (YouTube only has the sound from it, but it's worth it to hear James Earl Jones's narration and the amazing score by Alf Clausen), there's always been a sort-of association between the poem and this particular time of year. A few months after first seeing said episode (you know, 25th December), I was given this book:


The Classics Illustrated Edgar Allen Poe collection, illustrated by America's greatest living cartoonist, Gahan Wilson. His sinister etchings are a perfect match for such a poem, making it the SECOND best interpretation of The Raven that I've encountered. Look at it?










It's also, instantly and obviously, a billion times better than the Tiny Toons Adventures version!

4 comments:

  1. Have you read anything else by Poe? I've got absolutely everything he's ever done, including a greatest hits collection in which every story is embellished by a different animator. You'd love it but, moreover, you'd love him. Lovecraft too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read what's in that book, but what's in there I like a lot... Annabel Lee, Lines on Ale, The City in the Sea, The Sleeper, Eldorado, Alone, The Haunted Palace, and The Conqueror Worm.

    Out of those, my favourites are The Conqueror Worm, Alone and Lines of Ale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't heard Basil Rathbone's reading of The Raven, you're missing out on a rare treat. I seriously doubt that it's ever been bettered. Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basil's done one??

      I'm off out for a few days now, but I'll look for it on Sunday night, cheers!

      Delete